1. Philip Myers
  2. Shade 3D
  3. Tuesday, June 03 2014, 12:32 PM
  4.  Subscribe via email
guys,
Another dumb question,
I am slowly getting my head around the mirror function, but I have hit a hurdle, I seem to be banging my head against the wall,

how do I "weld" the 2 halves together?, I have spent some time on this and checked the manual(which is really lacking)

Thanks in advance
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Stefan Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Well, the easiest method would probably to put both meshes in a part and then hit convert to polygon mesh again, without subdivision.

Regards
Stefan
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Shade 3D
  3. # 1
Philip Myers Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Stefan wrote:

Well, the easiest method would probably to put both meshes in a part and then hit convert to polygon mesh again, without subdivision.

Regards
Stefan

Hey Stefan, thanks for the quick reply,

I tried your suggestion (at least I think I got it right) but it was already a mesh, and it still is not one piece.

I am getting more and more disillusioned with Shade, it seems a lot of basic functions are not in the programme, and as I have mentioned before its not exactly a cheap programme, in most of the other 3D programmes that I have seen, and I have tried Modo, Blender, Hexagon, nVill, and looked at tutorials of a few other 3D programmes they all have a weld function of some sort.
It shouldn't be this hard , Create a part, either cut it in half or duplicate it, then mirror it you should be able to just weld it together..
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Shade 3D
  3. # 2
Stefan Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Philip,

when you have no merged mesh, then you are doing something wrong… Please try the following: Hit Command-U (on the Mac), click on Copy Numerial and then on the edge from were you want it mirrored and enter either (depending on your model layout) x= -1 or z= -1. Now you should have and exact mirror copy at the proper position. Put both mesh halves in a Part and like i said then convert again to a mesh without subdivision. You should have now one merged object.

Regards
Stefan
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Shade 3D
  3. # 3
Aaron Faulkner Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
First, select both meshes, and go to "Modify > Mesh > Merge > Merge" and make the two meshes one mesh. Make sure there are no polygons between the welds you are trying to make. Make sure the vertices you want to weld together are as close together as possible (you can do this by using the "scale" tool, and scaling them together to 0 if you need that fine of a weld). Then select ALL the vertices you want welded, and select "Modify > Mesh > Merge > Merge Point" (singular, NOT plural! It's the second option) then select a very low number. It will merge it all together for you. You have to put some sort of number, so if you scaled them to zero, try "0.01" to ensure you don't grab vertices that are nearby.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74427334/mergeWeld.jpg
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Shade 3D
  3. # 4
Aaron Faulkner Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Bottom select should show "4" not "6" in my example. For some reason Shade didn't weld the top 2. If that happens, just area select the unwelded vertices, and use the plural weld version "weld vertices" and it will merge the 2 vertices. Do that for each pair. First time that's ever happened to me... Odd.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Shade 3D
  3. # 5
Philip Myers Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Aaron Faulkner wrote:

Bottom select should show "4" not "6" in my example. For some reason Shade didn't weld the top 2. If that happens, just area select the unwelded vertices, and use the plural weld version "weld vertices" and it will merge the 2 vertices. Do that for each pair. First time that's ever happened to me... Odd.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the reply and the small tutorial, but I think I am wasting your time and my time, I didn't realize that there are 2 Mirror tools,
Modify > Edit > Mirror
And
Modify > Tools > Mirror
And now I am struggling with both of them.

At the moment all I want to do is work on a mesh, cut it in 1/2, mirror it and basically have it almost joined to the original mesh, finish working on it, then weld it together. what's happening now is, if I select the first mirror option the mirrored part is inside the original and when I move the mouse curser the mirrored part swings out as if its on a pivot and therefore doesn't line up with the first part as a duplicate mirrored object.

With the second option, when I select an axis then click on Mirror, the mirrored part comes it but away from the original, why doesn't it act like a mirror tool and bring the part in against the part it is supposed to be mirroring? or how do I get it into position?
It shouldn't be this hard..
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Shade 3D
  3. # 6
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.

Recent Discussions

The Free Blender Add-on Thread
2645 Hits
In Blender
Posted on Thursday, October 26 2023, 04:04 PM
Meshbox Design Sponsors NORAD Tracks Santa Program 2023
968 Hits
Posted on Friday, December 01 2023, 10:17 PM
Toon Santa 23 for Poser & DAZ Studio is Scottish Santa
2547 Hits
Posted on Thursday, November 30 2023, 10:53 PM
Christmas Village 11 3D Model Series on Renderosity